What is a Public AdjusterA public adjuster is your licensed representative that handles all aspects of your claim which would normally be required of you the named insured.
The following are just a few of the aspects fulfilled by Maib Adjustment:
- Works vigorously as an advocate to protect your financial interest and therefore maximizing your recovery.
- Attends all meetings with the insurance companies’ personnel and their contractors.
- Corresponds and deals with all the day-to-day demands of the claim so you can return to your normal life.
- Quantifies and develops the documentation needed for a personal property inventory catalog.
- Quantifies and develops the specifications of the damaged building. This is very much different from a building estimate or bid done by a contractor.
- Deals with code upgrade demand when applicable.
- Addresses and handles any mitigation procedures that need to be done to the building and contents.
- Addresses additional living expense coverage as well as loss of rents coverage.
- Communicates with you the insured so you are kept informed as the claim develops.
- After your approval presents then negotiate your claim package to the insurance company.
A public adjuster is the only insurance professional specifically licensed by the department of insurance as a consumer advocate.
The law requires an individual to be licensed in order to negotiate a settlement on your behalf as well as apply policy coverages to the damages of your loss.
Two other types of adjusters:
Insurance company adjuster/staff adjuster:
- Their primary responsibility is to protect the financial interest of the insurance company.
- They have a confusing title as it appears they are not on the behalf of either side. Independent adjusters are licensed only on the behalf of the insurance company and their primary responsibility is to protect only the company’s financial interest.